Chamber music offers young musicians a rare opportunity to experience a powerful range of musical emotions. Through focused activity and shared goals, students build a supportive connection with their musical peers — listening skills, musical sensitivity, and mutual respect all benefit. Chamber music involvement fosters personal growth in ways that are both concrete and intangible.
Participants audition for chamber music readiness and group placement. Groups are formed as appropriate by age and level. Specific works, thoughtfully chosen for each group, will inspire, challenge, and develop the unique skills needed to play chamber music at a higher level. Every group performs in outreach concerts and free public concerts.
- Groups meet on Saturdays for one-hour coachings between 2:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Fall Session: September 22 - December 8, 2018
- Combined Winter and Spring Sessions: January 5 - June 14, 2019
- Masterclasses from guest artists
- Outreach concerts and public concerts
- Sunday and Weekday groups may be formed contingent on interest
Rehearsals take place at:
The National Opera Center America
330 Seventh Avenue (between 28th and 29th St.)
We are thrilled to return to Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall on Friday, June 14, 2019.
- Students must have a private teacher for their audition instrument.
- Private teachers must give consent for their student to enroll.
- Students should have previous ensemble experience, i.e. orchestra, piano ensemble, choir, etc.
- Student must demonstrate proficiency appropriate for their age in technique, musicianship, and note reading skills.
- Ages 8 - 25.
- Repertoire guidelines for each age group can be found here.
For a full list of participation fees, please visit our fees page.
Applications are now open for CMC Season 2018-2019. Once your application and application fee is received you will be invited to sign up for a live audition.
All applicants are expected to perform a live audition consisting of:
- A short Solo piece of choice
- Two Scales and arpeggios of your choice
- Short sight-reading excerpts
CMC has limited financial aid for need-based students. To be considered please fill out an application. Preference will be given to applications received before September 8, 2018.